New 'American Idol' Promo Puts Mariah Carey Front and Center (Video)
The judge says she can relate to the struggle of the hopefuls: "I waitressed and did all these other things I hear a lot of the contestants talk about doing."
Viewers watching last night's X Factor were treated to another look at the upcoming season of American Idol with a new promotional spot featuring Mariah Carey.
The commercial plays into the recurring theme of dreams coming true, with Carey talking directly to the camera about her humble beginnings and how she relates to the struggles of young hopefuls trying to make it in the music industry.
"I didn't have a show like Idol," said the superstar judge. "I waitressed and did all these other things I hear a lot of the contestants talk about doing."
Carey empathizes with young singers in the ad, and discusses how she "always sang" and "wrote" and that people can't give up on their ambitions or their dreams.
The few snippets shown of Carey as a judge portray her as extremely warm, with the Grammy-winning artist telling one singer "I know people are going to love you" and tearing up over another's performance.
"I felt every single word you sang," she tells another jubilant vocalist.
American Idol returns on Jan. 16, 2013.
Watch the clip below:
Follow Michele Amabile on Twitter!
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- The One Part Of 'Wild' That Still Makes Cheryl Strayed Wince
- Why Harry Styles' 'Not That Important' Is Massively Important
- A Cartoon Classic 30 Years in the Making: Hour of the Wolf Movie Review of The King and the Mockingbird
- My Chat With Valerie Harper Revealed That She Can Also Turn the World On With Her Smile
- Eddie Redmayne Goes In Depth About 'Theory of Everything' on 'Late Night' - Watch Here!
- Lana Del Rey Is Raped By Eli Roth in Violent Short Film Also Starring Marilyn Manson (NSFW)
- Gisele Bundchen Hits Washington In Style for UNEP's Earth Award Ceremony 2014!
- Brad Pitt Will Produce Sci-Fi Thriller 'Alpha'!